Wednesday, May 20, 2009

More Reason To Be Pissed Off And Broke In Cali...


So this is something I have been thinking about for awhile but haven't written about yet. I was getting a coffee at Starbucks a couple of weeks ago, when I was asked if I wanted my coffee "for here, or to go?". I froze up for a second and the wheels in my head started slowly turning, because the question really did throw me off a bit. Come to find out that California has a dine in tax. Can you believe that?? If I were to get a tall coffee (dumb ass way to say small coffee at Starbucks) and got it "for here" it would be $.12 more then if I were to ask for it "to go". No different ingredients, no difference in brew, same size, and same type of cup.

I commented to the cashier that I didn't remember ever being asked that before, and she let me know that the company had sent out instruction to start asking and to charge the tax if the items were purchased "for here". Up until recently the company payed the tax on "for here" orders, and recently, and I'm only assuming because of economic problems, the company had started charging the customers for the tax. Most companies are starting to do this here in California. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I have been looking into it and will try to get some more answers. It has something to do with all restaurant meals having sales tax and groceries not having sales tax in California. If its taken to go it may fall under the category of groceries. Not 100% sure but that is the type of explanation I got at Starbucks. I'll try and research it and get the correct answer. Still a ploy by the man to squeeze every last cent out of you. Damn the man.

2 comments:

Jen-n@y said...

LOL! I could imagine your face when she asked you that :O

Jen

Anna Bannana said...

have you tried it at Coffee Bean yet?