Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Lots Of Important Things Happening...




So today the California Supreme Court upheld Proposition 8 (ban against gay marriage). This is a terrible discrimination and takes away the civil rights of Americans. I know there will be appeals so I will continue to follow the developments. Several states such as Maine, Iowa, and Massachusetts to name a few have passed laws allowing gay marriage. California needs to get on the ball and do the same. The only positive thing that the Court did today was to allow the more then 18,000 gay couples that got married when it was legal prior to the passing of Prop 8 to remain valid.

Also today, President Obama announced his nominee for Supreme Court Justice to replace retiring Justice David Souter, and it is Sonia Sotomayor. I need to look into her credentials and background a bit more before I make a solid judgement. From what I heard today it is a good nomination and she would bring more judicial experience with her then any other Supreme Court Justice has at the beginning of their terms in the last 70 years. I will post more about this when I get more knowledgeable about her. These are exciting times, there are lots of important things happening...

No comments: